About A/Prof Grant Christey
Grant Christey is a Consultant Surgeon with broad experience and skills in General, Hepatobiliary and Trauma Surgery.
Grant was born and raised in the Waikato and trained in New Zealand. After fellowship training in General Surgery and Trauma Surgery Grant took a position as Conjoint Specialist General and Trauma Surgeon at Liverpool Hospital in Sydney with a lectureship in surgery at the University of New South Wales. This was followed by a sabbatical in hepatic surgery with the Liver and Transplant Unit at The Princess Alexandra Hospital in Brisbane.
The lure of the Waikato was strong and he returned in 2006 to start up the Waikato Hospital Liver Surgical Service and the Waikato Hospital Trauma Service, of which he is Clinical Director. He has membership on wide-ranging surgical speciality groups and committees.
Grant has primary interests in the following fields:
- General abdominal surgery
- Laparoscopic and open abdominal surgery
- Thyroid surgery
- Emergency and major trauma Surgery
- Abdominal wall and groin hernia surgery
- Surgical endoscopy
Years of dealing with critically ill and injured patients have molded Grant's goal of combining holistic, patient-centred care with surgical expertise. He has operating privileges at Waikato Hospital and the private hospitals in Hamilton.
- Specialist General Surgeon, Waikato Surgery, Hamilton
- Affiliated Service Provider for Southern Cross Health Society
- General Surgeon and Trauma Surgeon, Waikato Hospital
- Director of Trauma Services, Waikato Hospital
- Director Midland Regional Trauma System
- Honorary Associate Professor in Surgery, Waikato Clinical School
Areas of Specialisation
Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy, Laparoscopic & Open Hernia Repair, Complex Hernia Repair, Abdominal Wall Reconstruction, Thyroid Surgery, Surgical Endoscopy, General Surgery.
Banding of haemorrhoids, Colonoscopy, Flexible sigmoidoscopy, Gastroscopy.
Consultations, Laparoscopic cholecystectomy, Laparoscopic cholecystectomy with an intraoperative cholangiogram, Laparoscopic repair of femoral hernia, Laparoscopic repair of hiatus hernia, Open or laparoscopic repair of inguinal hernia, Open repair of epigastric hernia, Open repair of incisional hernia, Open repair of inguinal hernia, Open repair of umbilical hernia.
Year of NZ Registration
BSc(Hons) MBChB, FACS, FRACS
Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
American College of Surgeons
- International Surgical Society (NZ Delegate)
- Australasian Trauma Society
- Australian and NZ Association for Surgery in Trauma
Hospitals Practising at
Southern Cross Hospital
Urgent Appointments available
Please call 07 859 0185