About Dr Michael East
Michael has more than 25 years experience in performing advanced laparoscopic gynaecological surgery conducted with both care and precision. He is also a trained robotic surgeon using the Da Vinci surgical robot.
He has also been involved in training many new young surgeons and in helping advance the techniques of laparoscopic surgery within New Zealand.
He believes a surgeon and clinician must always consider the 'whole person' when advising upon management.
In 1996 Michael was a founding member of Oxford Women's Health, Christchurch (then known as Oxford Clinic). Michael has been at the forefront of developing and introducing new advanced laparoscopic techniques in New Zealand and has been involved in surgical instrument design to help perform laparoscopically assisted vaginal hysterectomy (LAVH).
Areas of Expertise
- Advanced Laparoscopic Surgery
- Robotic Surgery
MBBS, FROCOG, FRANZCOG, MAOG, MRMed
- Served on International Society of Gynaecological Surgery (ISGS) board for 14 years
- Served on the NZ committee of the Royal Australasia New Zealand College of Obstetrics and Gynaecology
- Life Member of Endometriosis New Zealand and former chair of the board and board member for 12 years
- Co-ordinator and tutor for Oxford Women's Health Laparoscopy Fellowship training