About Dr Anand Segar
Dr. Anand Segar is a New Zealand and internationally trained spinal surgeon guided by the principles of patient-centred care. His approach is personable, balance, and individualised with a holistic approach to spinal conditions. He has clinics in all 5 Auckland regions: Central, North, East, West, and South, so is always close to you and your patients.
Anand is happy to be contacted at any time for phone or email advice and has urgent appointments available for your patients. He splits his time between his public position as a paediatric spinal surgeon at Starship Childrens Hospital and adult and paediatric spinal surgeon in private practice. When not at work, he enjoys spending time with his family, a good run with his dog, and reading.
Dr. Anand Segar is fellowship trained in all aspects of adult and paediatric spinal surgery. He completed his medical education at the University of Auckland, where he graduated at the top of his class. He subsequently trained in orthopaedic surgery in New Zealand and is a Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons. He was awarded his Ph.D. from the University of Oxford, U.K., examining the relationship of obesity and low back pain. He has received numerous awards for his research and serves as a Deputy Editor for the journal Clinical Spine Surgery.
He has completed three prestigious, highly competitive, and world-renowned spine surgical fellowships in the United States working under the leaders in the field. This has provided him with a unique and comprehensive understanding of spinal problems afflicting patients of all age groups, from birth to the more venerable patients, in any aspect of their spine, all the way from their skull to their tailbone.
Anands clinical focus comprises the full spectrum of non-operative and operative procedures to treat cervical, thoracic, and lumbar spine conditions. His focus is always on non-operative modalities and treatments to avoid surgery. He works closely with many allied health professionals. Dr. Segar will only recommend surgery when necessary and always through a shared-decision making process.
He specialises in spinal surgery across all age groups, and his practice covers all aspects of spinal surgery. This ranges from spinal injections to outpatient minimally invasive procedures to complex adult and paediatric spinal deformity and scoliosis surgery. His surgical passion is in minimally invasive spine surgery, spinal deformity, scoliosis, and revision spine surgery.
Common Diagnoses Treated
- Degenerative disc disease (lumbar and cervical)
- Disc herniation (lumbar and cervical)
- Sciatica and radiculopathy
- Spinal instability
- Spinal stenosis (lumbar and cervical)
- Adult spinal deformity
- Paediatric spinal deformity
- Flat back
- Anterior cervical discectomy and fusion
- Cervical disc replacement
- Cervical laminoplasty
- Posterior cervical decompression and fusion
- Minimally invasive lumbar laminectomy
- Minimally invasive microdiscectomy
- Lumbar spine fusion (Open and minimally invasive)
- Scoliosis surgery (Adult and paediatric)
- Spinal osteotomies
- MercyAscot Hospitals
- Southern Cross Hospitals
- Ormiston Hospital
- BHB & MBChB - University of Auckland
- FRACS (Ortho) - New Zealand Orthopaedic Association and Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- DPhil/PhD - University of Oxford, Oxford, UK (The Effect of Obesity Upon the Lumbar Spine)
- Rothman Institute at Thomas Jefferson University, Philadelphia, U.S.A
All aspects of adult spine surgery (trauma, tumours, revision or failed spinal surgery, spinal deformity, robotic spine surgery and minimally invasive spine surgery)
- NYU Langone Orthopaedic Hospital, New York, U.S.A
Adult and paediatric spine surgery (scoliosis, spinal deformity, robotic spine surgery and minimally invasive spine surgery)
- Columbia University/Children's Hospital of New York, New York, U.S.A
Complex paediatric spinal deformity (scoliosis, spinal deformity, robotic spine surgery and vertebral body tethering)
- Adult and Paediatric Spine Surgeon, Auckland Spine Institute
- Paediatric Spine Surgeon, Starship Childrens Hospital, Auckland District Health Board
- Honorary Senior Lecturer, University of Auckland
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- New Zealand Orthopaedic Association
- North American Spine Society
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- AO Spine
Parking Available and Disability Access at all locations
Referrals also for Quaymed at Wynyard Quarter
Contact Dr Anand Segar
ph: 09 553 8162