About Dr Alan Fraser
Alan Fraser was trained at the University of Otago and graduated in 1980. He trained in Waikato and Auckland Hospitals, then moved to the Royal Free Hospital, London, to a research fellow position for the next three years. He was awarded the Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College in 1990, and MD, University of Otago, in 1994. In 1998, he returned to England on sabbatical, this time to Oxford, to develop a research interest in inflammatory bowel disease, Crohn’s Disease and ulcerative colitis.
He is Associate Professor of Medicine, University of Auckland and is responsible for all teaching in gastroenterology at the School of Medicine from second year to the final year. He has a busy private practice with Auckland Gastroenterology Associates.
Alan has an active involvement in research, particularly on the influence of diet and genetics in Crohn’s Disease and improving quality of endoscopy through audit. He is Past-President of the New Zealand Society for Gastroenterology and has been involved in oversight of training of gastroenterology registrars in NZ for many years. He has presented widely at conferences throughout the world on a range of research topics and has published over 120 original articles and well as many reviews.
He has a patient information website: http://www.gastro-info.co.nz This has comprehensive information on all gut and liver diseases and common symptoms
Specialising in all aspects of Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Gastroscopy & Colonoscopy (diagnostic & all therapeutic procedures)
Associate Professor of Medicine
Patient information website: http://www.gastro-info.co.nz
Endoscopy performed at
- Endoscopy Auckland, Epsom
- MercyAscot Endoscopy, Northshore
- MercyAscot Hospital, Epsom
Capsule endoscopy, Colonoscopy, Flexible sigmoidoscopy, Gastroscopy
MBChB (Otago) (1980), FRACP (1990), MD (Otago) (1994)
- Executive Committee member NZ Society of Gastroenterology (2002 – current)
- Chairperson, RACP committee for training in Gastroenterology
- Chairperson, Endoscopy Specialists committee at MercyAscot Hospital
- Member, International Editorial Board for Alimentary Pharmacology and Therapeutics (since 1995)
- Member of PTAC (Pharmacology and Therapeutic Advisory Committee)
- Member American Gastroenterology Association
Hospitals Practising at:
Mercy Hosp Epsom,
Mercy Endoscopy North Shore,
Endoscopy Auckland, Epsom