About MercyAscot Neck Lump Clinic
Why Choose us?
- Patient convenience.
- Expertise and experience in head and neck conditions.
- Multidisciplinary team approach (Surgery, Radiation Oncology, Medical Oncology, Radiology, Pathology, Speech and Swallow Therapy, Intensive Care, Wound Care Specialists).
Located in Epsom, Mercy Hospital
Southern Cross patients may be eligible for our fully funded outcomes-based healthcare pilot programme.
Latest technology and evidenced-based treatment: Patients are treated by experienced specialists who offer access to the latest treatment for head and neck disorders. For example: micro-vascular surgery, 3D printed bio-modelling, VMAT radiotherapy, SPECT-CT and PET CT.
Facilities and functions: MercyAscot is the largest private hospital provider in New Zealand. We have an on-site Intensive Care Unit and an inpatient ward that focuses on post-operative care for head and neck patients
Rehabilitation:Every patient is provided with a personalised rehabilitation plan to maximise their post-treatment quality of life. This can involve a speech and swallowing plan, physiotherapy, dental and oral prosthodontics.
Innovative, patient-centric practice:The MercyAscot Head and Neck Service offers a one-stop diagnostic Neck Lump Clinic. The objective of this clinic is to perform complete neck lump assessment at a single clinic visit, thereby minimising treatment delay for patients.
When to urgently refer to our Neck Lump Clinics/us?
Please urgently refer any neck lumps which meet any one of the following criteria:
- Neck Lump increasing in size
- Neck Lump greater than 2 cm in size
- Neck Lump present for more than 3 weeks that has changed
- Neck Lump present for 6 weeks or more
- Widespread lymphadenopathy > 2cm
- Symptoms: night sweats, generalised itch, weight loss, fever
Our results so far
- 1380 neck lump patients assessed
- 99% of patients given diagnosis following assessment
- 49% discharged with reassurance after a single appointment
- 10% cancer diagnosis.
Comprehensive diagnostic and treatment service for patients with worrying neck lumps
- All patients seen within one week
- Accurate diagnosis and treatment plan in one 45-minute appointment
- Multi-disciplinary team at every appointment
- Holistic care and support for every patient
The Neck Lump Clinic team is proud of the levels of service they are able to offer. This service provides an excellent standard of care meeting international best practice.3, 4
 *Adapted from Guidelines for the Management of Neck Lumps, Pan-Birmingham Cancer Network 2010
 As of May 11 2017
3. Guidance on Cancer Services: Improving outcomes in head and neck cancer - the manual. Institute for Clinical Excellence (NICE), Nov 2004. (Available online: http://www.nice.org.ok/Guidance/CSGHN/Evidence)
4. Porter, M. What is Value in Healthcare? N Engl J Med, 2010; 363:2477-2481
Affiliated Provider to Southern Cross Health Society for ENT services
Mr Mark Izzard
Head and Neck Surgeon
MBBS, FRACS (ORLHNS)
Mark is a member of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, Australian and New Zealand Head and Neck Society, the Australasian academy of Facial Plastic Surgery, the American academy of Facial Plastic Surgery, the American Head and Neck Society, and the New Zealand Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery
Mr Rajan Patel
Head and Neck Surgeon
MBChB, MD, FRCS (ORLHNS), FRACS (ORLHNS)
Rajan is a member of the Royal College of Surgeons, the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, the Australian and New Zealand Head and Neck Society, the American Head and Neck Society, the New Zealand Society of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery, the British Association of Otorhinolaryngologists, Head and Neck Surgeons, the British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists
Mr Kevin Smith
Head and Neck Surgeon
MA (Cantab), MBBS, MRCS, FRACS(ORLHNS)
Kevin is a member of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons, the Royal College of Surgeons of England, the New Zealand Society of Otolaryngology, Head and Neck Surgery, and the British Association of Head and Neck Oncologists.
Dr Carole Paulus
MD, MRANZCR, MSFR
Dr Christine Koch
BE, MBChB, FRANZC
Assoc. Prof Patrick Emanuel
MBChB, FACP, FRCPA, FASDP, Dip Arts
Dr Joo Kim
To refer directly to us
P 09 630 2920
F 09 630 2923
M 02245 02245