About Mr Mark Cvitanich
Mark is an Orthopaedic Surgeon who has been practicing in Timaru, South Canterbury, New Zealand since 2006.
His primary speciality involves procedures around the Hip, Knee and Shoulder.
Hips - Surgical procedures offered include the latest techniques in open hip surgery. These include the treatment of trochanteric bursitis, gluteal tendon tears and direct anterior muscle sparing hip replacements, as well as hip revision surgery utilising the posterior approach.
Knees - Mark regularly performs anterior cruciate ligament reconstructions utilising the Quadriceps graft as well as undertaking treatment and surgery for multi-ligament knee injuries. He performs partial and full knee replacements including the Oxford Uni Knee and Patellofemoral replacements. He does revision knee replacement surgery when required.
Shoulders - Key hole shoulder surgery is regularly undertaken to stabilise dislocating shoulders and fix torn rotator cuff. Mark also performs anatomical and reverse shoulder replacement surgery.
He covers most other aspects of Orthopaedic practice as well including Elbow, Hand, Foot and Ankle surgery. He has a special interest in Sports Orthopaedics and competes himself in numerous multisports events like the Coast to Coast, Pioneer MTB and Round Taupo cycle race.
Mark initially trained and specialized in Orthopaedic Surgery in South Africa. He then worked as a fellow under expert hip and knee surgeons in the UK's leading joint replacement units in Norwich and Bristol. Here he super-specialized in Hip and Knee replacements and complex Knee ligament surgery before coming to New Zealand.
He practices at Aorangi Surgical Group and operates at Bidwill Trust Hospital. He is also employed by the South Canterbury District Health Board at Timaru Hospital.
Areas of Special Interest
- Hip Joint Replacement Surgery (Primary)
– Direct Anterior Approach Hip Replacement (DAA)
- Revision Hip Joint Replacement Surgery
– Posterior Approach Hip Replacement
- Knee Joint Replacement Surgery (Primary and Revisions)
– Unicompartmental Knee Replacement, Patellofemoral Joint Replacement
- Knee Surgery including ACL/PCL/Meniscal Surgery
- Shoulder Replacements - Anatomical and Reverse
- Shoulder Surgery - Arthroscopic and open, including Cuff repairs/Stabilisation procedures/Labral repair
- Ankle Surgery - Arthroscopic including Cartilage Debridement/Cartilage Grafts/Ankle Ligament Reconstruction
- Osteoarthritis of Hip and Knee
- Orthopaedics Sports Injuries
- Hand and Foot injuries
- Carpal Tunnel Decompressions/Dupuytrens Contracture Release
Hospitals practising at: Timaru Public Hospital, Bidwill Trust Hospital
Carpal tunnel release, Primary total hip joint replacement, Primary total knee joint replacement
MBChB(UCT) - 1994, DA(SA) - 1996, FC Orth(SA)-2004, 2005 - Fellowship in Hip & Knee Replacement Surgery, Norfolk and Norwich Hospital, UK 2005 - Adult Joint Reconstruction Fellowship, Bristol Orthopaedic Division, UK, Fellow of the New Zealand Orthopaedic Association
A referral letter is required from your health professional, (GP, Physio or specialist) prior to an appointment being made.
Once the referral has been received, we will notify you when your appointment is.
If you have a cell phone, you will be sent a text message reminder the day before.
To cancel an appointment, telephone the office during business hours. Please cancel at least 1 day ahead so that your appointment time can be allocated to another patient who is seeking treatment.
New patient appointments range from 20-30 minutes and follow ups are 10-20 minutes.