About Udaya Samarakkody
Mrs Udaya Samarakkody
MBBS, MS, DCH,FRCS, FRACS, MClinEd
Diploma in Laparoscopic Surgery
Paediatric Surgeon, Paediatric Urologist & Laparoscopic Surgeon
I offer the entire range of paediatric surgery, paediatric urology and minimal access surgery.
My achievements and involvement in the community has involved:
- 20 years as a Paediatric surgeon in Hamilton
- Director of Paediatric surgery at Waikato Hospital, Hamilton 2002-2011.
- Honorary senior clinical lecturer in paediatric surgery, Waikato Clinical School of University of Auckland.
- NZ representative of Australasian Association of Paediatric surgeons (AAPS) 2000-2004
- Secretary, New Zealand Society of Paediatric surgeons, 1999 & 2000
- Secretary, Perinatal Society of New Zealand, 2002-2006
- Secretary, Waikato Postgraduate Medicine Inc, 2002 to date
- President, New Zealand Society of Paediatric Surgeons 2010-2013
Surgeries are performed at Braemar Hospital, Southern Cross Hospital and Anglesea Hospital
Other Languages Spoken
Sinhalese, Te Reo Maori
Paediatric urology, minimal access surgery
English, Maori and Sinhalese
Areas of Specialisation
General Paediatric Surgery, Paediatric Urology & Endoscopy, Laparoscopic Surgery, Neonatal Surgery
My common services are:
- Surgery for inguinal hernia, hydrocoele, undescended testes, umbilical hernia, tongue tie, hypospadias, appendicitis and enlarged lymph nodes.
- Circumcision (medical, social and religious)
- Comprehensive endoscopy service that includes upper GI endoscopy, colonscopy, cystoscopy, bronchoscopy and related procedures
- Abdominal surgery (including laparoscopy)
- Thoracic Surgery (including thoracoscopy)
- Paediatric urology: Vesico ureteric reflux, urinary tract infection, kidney stones, hydronephrosis and urodynamic studies
- Neonatal surgery
- Consultation for antenatally diagnosed foetal abnormalities
My special interests are Paediatric urology and minimal access surgery (key hole surgery).
Banding of haemorrhoids , Colonoscopy , Flexible sigmoidoscopy , Gastroscopy , Paediatric endoscopy.
Open repair of inguinal hernia , Open repair of umbilical hernia , Paediatric open inguinal herniotomy.
Credit card, EFTPOS, Invoicing, Direct invoicing to insurance company for specified operations
Year of NZ Registration - 1996
Qualifications - MBBS, MS, DCH, FRCS, FRACS, MClinEd, Diploma in Laparoscopic Surgery
- Royal Alexandra Childrens Hospital, Camperdown, Sydney (Now Childrens Hospital of Westmead, Sydney) Royal Childrens Hospital, Melbourne, Australia
- Westmead Hospital, Sydney, Australia
- Lady Ridgeway Childrens Hospital, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- National Hospital, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Sri Jayawardenepura teaching Hospital, Colombo, Sri Lanka
- Australia and NZ Association of Paediatric Surgeons
- British Association of Paediatric Surgeons
- NZ Society of Paediatric Surgeons
- International Pediatric endosurgery group
- College of Surgeons of Sri Lanka
- Australia & New Zealand Paediatric Urology Society
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons of Edinbourgh
- Honorary Fellow of the College of Surgeons of Sri Lanka
Hospitals Practising at
Braemar Hospital, Anglesea Hospital & Southern Cross (Hamilton & Rotorua)
Contact Udaya Samarakkody
Ring Mobile 021 887 673